School Motto ‘With Christ at our side, we do our best in all things.’
St John the Baptist RC Primary School is a Catholic school where the message of Christ inspires the curriculum and all aspects of school life. Religious Education is in accordance with Roman Catholic doctrine and practice. The school aims to provide the kind of education which enables each pupil, in accordance with his or her ability, to become a dedicated member of the Catholic Church and a responsible citizen.
In all that we do, we aim to be CARING CHRISTIANS
Our school aims are;
- To foster a caring atmosphere within the school based on the love of God and the example of St. John the Baptist.
- To provide a rich, broad and balanced curriculum, within a Catholic ethos, appropriate to each child, and fulfilling the requirements of the National Curriculum whilst providing high quality resources to stimulate learning opportunities, rich in first hand experiences.
- To encourage enduring links between school, home and parish, fully supporting the Sacramental Programme and the children’s development in faith, which will prepare pupils for entry into the wider world.
- To recognise the values of each individual child, regardless of ability, race, gender, or physical difficulty, and to meet the needs of each child through a well organised and structured planning process within a secure, happy and attractive learning environment.
- To enable the children to develop decision making skills and awareness of their own value, talents and ability in order that they may become effective and independent members of society and a benefit to the community.
- To expect the highest quality of personal relationships in partnership with parents, positively promoting respect, tolerance and a consideration of the feeling of others.
- To provide for and prepare the children to use a broad range of leisure and extra curricular activities.
Pupil Chaplaincy Team
We have a vibrant Pupil Chaplaincy Team. This consists of a dedicated team of 11 Pupil Chaplaincy members from Years 4, 5 and 6 and an Adult Leader. Pupils apply in writing and are interviewed by the Headteacher, Adult Leader and/or RE Leader. This role in school has a high profile and pupils are given a special sweatshirt and lanyard to wear so that they are easily distinguished from other pupils. They provide an excellent link between school and parish – for example in representing our school at the Lenten Soup Kitchen. Some of the tasks undertaken in school include: preparing and leading Collective Worship; writing to new pupils, parents and parishioners; creating displays; fund-raising; helping to lead Masses, meditation sessions and our Rosary Club.
We also have a dedicated team of Mini Vinnies who meet weekly on Wednesday lunchtimes. This group is led by a member of the parish and Vincentian, Mr D Hartley. The team consists of 12 pupils from Years 4 and 5. They also enhance our school-parish links for example by attending Mass for the house-bound. Other activities carried out by our Mini Vinnies to enhance the 5 Ws at St John’s include: providing cards and serving at our Parishioners Tea Party; creating display pieces for class prayer tables/altars.